At the Rio Salado Cowboy Shooting Society Cowboy/Cowgirl category shooters may shoot revolvers in any shooting style, including Gunfighter style. Keep in mind this is a club modification to the Cowboy/Cowgirl category and is not a SASS endorsed category change. For detailed description of the gunfighter shooting style refer to the SHB. Adjustable sight revolvers are permissible in the Cowboy/Cowgirl category regardless of the shooting style. When more than one shooting style is permitted in age based categories the shooter may change shooting style at any time.
The following information provides the rules for the Non SASS Approved category John Wayne for use at the Rio Salado Cowboy Action Shooting Society. For those shooters who are worried about ammo, primer and powder shortages, the Rio Cowboys would like to introduce the John Wayne Category. Shooters will be allowed to participate in the match but only use half the required ammunition. This is a temporary offering at our matches and will be available until ammunition and reloading components supplies return to normal.
1. Ammunition requirements will be 5 pistol, 5 rifle, 2+ shotgun.
2. Shooters may only bring one main match pistol to the shooting line. Any SASS approved pistol is acceptable.
3. Any SASS approved main match rifle and shotgun is acceptable.
4. Shooters may shoot the pistol either two handed or Duelist style.
5. Shooters may use any SASS approved ammunition.
6. If a stage calls for a 5 round sweep twice or repeat, shooters would only shoot the sweep once.
7. If a stage calls for a 10 round continuous sweep, shooter shall only complete the first 5 shots of the sweep.
8. If a stage calls for split shotgun positions, shooters have the choice to shoot 2 at the first position or 1 at each position. Comstock rule applies.
9. If a stage calls for 10+1 reload on the rifle, shooters shall shoot 5+1 reload.
10. Shooters should inform the TO and spotters how they intend to shoot the stage.
11. Scores will not be shown in the overall match results, but will be shown on a separate page where they may compare their score to other John Wayne participants.
12. Shooters will not be eligible for a clean match or the Silver Bullet award.
13. All other SASS rules will apply.
The following provides rules for the Non SASS Approved category Josey Wales at Rio Salado Cowboy Action shooting Society.
Josey Wales is a modified Duelist or Gunfighter category using 2 additional revolvers in lieu of the rifle. All four revolvers must be Main Match fixed sight style revolvers. The revolver shooting style rules that apply are either Duelist style or Gunfighter style depending upon the style chosen by the shooter. The rules prescribed below are written with safety and smooth quick stage flow in mind.
All 4 revolvers will be loaded with no more than 5 rounds each and in accordance with stage instructions.
The revolvers used in lieu of the rifle will be staged in the same manner as the rifle would be and may not be used to engage pistol targets. At the completion of the rifle string the revolvers will be staged as the rifle would have been.
The revolvers may be carried in 4 holsters or the extra two will be carried with the muzzles up at least head high from the loading table to the rifle staging location so as not to sweep anyone. The TO or other posse member may assist in carrying the shotgun to and from the firing line. The additional revolvers will be similarly carried to the ULT as well as to and from a gun cart if shooter not equipped with four holsters.
The revolver shooting style for Josey Wales is either duelist or gunfighter.
This is not an awards category and is available at the Match Director’s discretion. So bring your rifle as a backup.